Online Banking Login

Online Banking / Small Business Banking


New Online Banking Users

Enroll Now |

VISA® Account Access

Health Savings Accounts

Can You Make Contributions to an HSA if You Are Covered under an FSA or HRA?

You may not be eligible to make contributions to an HSA if you are currently covered under a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or a Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) that provides duplicate coverage of the HSA. However, if you have an FSA or an HRA, you will be eligible to participate in an HSA if:

  • Your FSA or HRA repays or reimburses only vision, dental, or preventive care expenses.
  • Your FSA or HRA is a high-deductible arrangement that pays or reimburses health-care expenses only after the minimum annual HDHP deductible has been satisfied.
  • You suspend your HRA for a period of time by electing to forgo reimbursement of HRA benefits that you incur during the suspension period (your employer can continue to make contributions during the suspension period).
  • Your HRA is a retirement HRA that reimburses medical expenses you incur once you retire (although contributions can be made before you retire).
Share Article:
Add to GooglePlus

Investment products and services are offered through INFINEX INVESTMENTS, Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC. The Investment Center at South Shore Bank is a trade name of the Bank. Infinex and the bank are not affiliated. Products and services made available through Infinex are not insured by the FDIC or any other agency of the United States and are not deposits or obligations of nor guaranteed or insured by any bank or bank affiliate. These products are subject to investment risk, including the possible loss of value.