Online Banking Login

Online Banking / Small Business Banking


New Online Banking Users

Enroll Now |

VISA® Account Access

Health Savings Accounts

How Are Contributions Taxed?

Individual contributions you make to your HSA that do not exceed the maximum contribution limit are tax-deductible. Because you deduct these contributions "above-the-line" when calculating your adjusted gross income, you can deduct HSA contributions even if you do not itemize deductions on your federal income tax return. You can also deduct contributions made by a family member on your behalf.

If your employer makes contributions to your HSA, these are not included in your gross income. Thus, you do not have to pay income tax on the amount contributed by your employer. However, you cannot deduct the HSA contributions made by your employer on your tax return.

Interest and earnings on amounts in HSAs are not taxable.

Share Article:
Add to GooglePlus

Investment products and services are offered through INFINEX INVESTMENTS, Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC. The Investment Center at South Shore Bank is a trade name of the Bank. Infinex and the bank are not affiliated. Products and services made available through Infinex are not insured by the FDIC or any other agency of the United States and are not deposits or obligations of nor guaranteed or insured by any bank or bank affiliate. These products are subject to investment risk, including the possible loss of value.